STE 008 – From Small Town to Business School & Cincinnati with Andrew Lewis
In this episode, Daniel talks with Andrew about his journey from a small town in Indiana to Indiana University’s Kelley School of Business–and later to Cincinnati–and what he recommends for others who would follow his path.
- Andrew’s educational and vocational background.
- How did coming from a small town influence Andrew’s experience of business school, especially compared to peers who grew up with white collar parents and mentors?
- Did Andrew introduce aspects of Cincinnati life to the small town he came from, or vice versa? How did it go?
- How did Andrew build his current career?
- What are some takeaway points for others who look to do something similar to Andrew?
- Try new internships and jobs early and often.
- Important experiences don’t always come from fancy internships–they can come from fast food jobs (Chipotle, in Andrew’s case).
- Don’t blindly search for “your passion.” That can often foreclose opportunities more than reveal them.
- Don’t wait for better things to come along, whether with internships or jobs. Often, gaining experience opens more doors than just waiting around for the perfect opportunity.
Send us any questions, comments, or suggestions that you have! You can email us at email@example.com or here.
— Daniel & Andrew